All you need is something with the pipe principles – a heat resistant place to load the cannabis and a tube to suck on to get the smoke into your lungs. Whether you are at a party or out in the wilds, search around and you should be able to find something that is going to work. And the great thing about using fruit is that you can always eat it afterwards!
Pipes, bongs, vapers and even fruit have been used to deliver that impromptu cannabis hit over the years. But what happens if you suddenly find yourself with some buds but nothing to smoke it with? The good news is that weed pipes can be made out of a whole bunch of stuff you may have lying around the home. Even if you’re stuck in the great outdoors, it’s surprising what you can find to use as a weed pipe.
Make sure you know what it contained. Don’t just pick up the first thing you see lying around and turn it into a weed pipe. Ideally, you should use a delivery vessel that has been specially designed for use with cannabis. A commercially made weed pipe will give you a better experience and will do your cannabis justice. They’re designed to control the burn, enhance the flavour and produce a steady delivery. Find one if you can. These suggestions are for when you have absolutely have no other choice.
All you need to do then is load the top of the fruit and start using your improvised weed pipe. Some people believe it enhances the flavor of the cannabis and others even combine different fruit and vegetables to make their pipe because that’s something of a challenge. The top 6 fruit and veg for making a weed pipe are:
- First you need a bucket or sink of water.
- Take an empty plastic bottle and cut the bottom off it.
- Fashion a bowl out of tin foil with some holes and fix this onto the neck.
- Load up your cannabis and then place the cut base in the water almost up to the neck.
- Light your buds and move the bottle slowly up without coming out of the water.
If you are looking for something a little more elegant, there are a couple of ways to make a gravity bong. Our favourite is fairly simple and designed to impress at parties.
- Apple: Still the most popular choice but a lot depends on whether you’ve got a healthily stocked kitchen. Fruit can also add some extra flavor to your cannabis which is why making weed pipes is such a hit at parties.
- Honeydew Melon: Avoid watermelons because they’re a bit too mushy. Cantaloupes are also a good choice. You can also introduce multiple access points because of the size of the melon.
- Pineapple: With a hard exterior, the pineapple is actually a pretty sturdy choice for a weed pipe. You can create a large bowl and again add multiple pipes for everyone to enjoy. It can get a little sticky, however.
- Jalapeno: Medium size chilies and peppers are good, quick options for weed pipes and you may even get a nice chili hit into the bargain. The smaller varieties can be more than a little fiddly. Larger peppers also work pretty well.
- Squash: These come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. If you’ve never tried smoking cannabis out of a pumpkin at Halloween, you’ve never lived. The harder flesh means you need to put in a little more work but it creates a stable weed pipe that will last most of the evening.
- Cucumber: If you want to be cool as cucumber, you can. The waxy skin keeps everything together and stops the inside juice from getting all over your hands.
We suggest that you avoid anything that is excessively mushy inside if you don’t want to ruin your cannabis before you even get to try it. You need something where you can make a base to load your cannabis and which has a tube or hollowing out where you can draw the smoke. The ideal fruit is an apple.
Of course, not all fruit and veg work – you won’t want to try banana or tomato for example. Then again, maybe you do!
Pipes, bongs, vapers and even fruit have been used to deliver that impromptu cannabis hit over the years. But what happens if you suddenly find yourself with some buds but nothing to smoke it with? The good news is that weed pipes can be made out of a whole bunch of stuff you may have lying arou …
There is really no “best” type of screen—what’s most important is that it fits snugly into your bowl. You know your screen fits if it doesn’t pop out after pressing it down into your bowl. The rest, whether you prefer steel, brass, or glass screens, is up to you.
• Brass screens
This is how most people smoke out of fruit. You can always change things up to make them more pleasant to smoke. If you have a bowl, place it on the top of the apple. Or, you could use the tip of a pen or any other material (that doesn’t melt or release harmful fumes) as a bowl.
You can also make a screen from a paperclip or a similar piece of stiff wire. Bend the wire into a spiral and position it snugly in the bowl. This can work as a halfway-decent screen that keeps larger chunks of ash and weed in your pipe.
Brass screens are perhaps the most common, featuring in tobacco pipes and many glass and ceramic bongs. You can get them at just about any tobacco store or headshop for little money. These circle-shaped cut-outs are made from brass mesh, with each screen about the size of a small coin. Brass has the advantage that you can bend it easily; this way, you can fit these screens easily into various bowl sizes. If you happen to have brass screens that are a tiny bit too large for your bowl, you can easily cut them to size.
Let’s first make it clear that the following methods should only be used as last resorts. If you can go out and buy yourself a glass piece, do that. These aren’t materials traditionally used to smoke weed. A proper bong or pipe will always do your bud more justice. The flavour, the burn, and the smoothness will all be better from an object specially made with these factors in mind.
The options are endless, try out some and choose your favourites.
So, what pipe screen should you use with your homemade bong? And further, what do you do if there are no screens around?
• Stainless steel screens
It's 3am and you finally finished that paper. There's not a place open and you still want that smoke before bed. We have the solution for you!