Installing lights is very important. They need a hood so that the lights can focus on the plants in a direct manner. High-pressure sodium lights and metal halide lights are hot. They need hoods that can cool down fast. LED lights are generally cool so they do not need a cooling hood.
- Oscillating fan: It helps to circulate air in the room. This way you are able to avoid hotspots inside the room. The airflow will help the plants to grow healthy.
- Carbon filter: Marijuana releases an odor that is not nice. Try to install a carbon filter with an exhaust fan. This will help reduce or even eliminate the smell.
- Exhaust fan: It is important to replace the air in the room. So, you need a good exhaust fan that has a high CFM rating. This will ensure that the air is replaced every 2 to 3 minutes. You need to calculate the cubic area of the room to buy the one you need. Also, keep in mind the traveling area of the air.
- Air intake: The exhaust fan will blow out the old air. So, now you need new air to enter the room. This, you can achieve by drilling tiny holes in the wall or door). There are chances that the holes might not be enough. In this case, air intakes come handy. They will pull in the new air inside the room.
- Make sure that the room in which you are planning to set up is close to the water and electrical supply.
- Cleaning the room is important. You need to disinfect the walls and floors to avoid pests and diseases. Also, remove any sort of carpet type material as mold and dust can make their home.
- Put the pots in a tray. So that when you water, spillage will not be a factor. The floor of the room must be a hard floor. This way you can clean in an easier way by mopping the floor.
A marijuana plant grows at a certain temperature and humidity and pH range. Installing these items will help you provide the perfect environment for the plants.
Marijuana is a crop that needs warmth and humid to grow in a proper way. So, the room you will select should not contain any type of furniture, curtains and so on. These would attract pests, molds or other things that can invite diseases. Empty the whole room.
If the room is not dark the plants will force themselves to become male plants. The yield of the crop will reduce if they become male plants. So, it is an important factor for grow room setup. Since it needs complete darkness, you can use light leaks to ensure this. Seal with opaque tapes in any place that is leaking in light from outside. To find any leakage turn off your grow room light. You will see lights if there is any leak. If there is any window, cover it up.
- Compact fluorescent lights: You can use these when you are planting the seeds. They do not produce much light.
- High-pressure sodium lights: They produce a lot of light in the orange spectrum. This is best in the flowering phase.
- Metal halide lights: They produce a lot of light in the blue spectrum. This is best in the vegetation phase.
- LED lights: The best led grow lights is an important garden tool for grow room setup. They produce a lot of light. Also, they are energy efficient. It does not get hot for which you can place them closer to the plants without harming them. These lights are best for both the flowering and vegetation phases.
- Mylar: It is the most reflective item available in the market. They can reflect over 95% of light. Mylar comes in different forms. You would want to buy the one that’s made of aluminum. Put them up on the walls with the help of tapes. Lay them flat so that it reflects better. If touched too many times, there are chances it may tear. So, try to avoid too much contact with it.
- Flat white paint: If you are trying to save money then this is a great option for grow room setup. It can reflect up to 85% of the light which is pretty much a big amount. The paint has little to no light-absorbing properties. This helps to create no hotspot.
- Emergency blankets:These are one of the cheapest reflective items that you can buy. They are available in many camping shops. They can reflect up to 70%. You can use this if you have a very small room. Try to hang the flat ones on the walls. If there are any crinkles, you will waste light. Also, there are chances that it may develop hotspot which can hamper the plants.
Before you start and buy the equipment, it is important that you design or layout the whole setup. You need to calculate how much space you need. Create a blueprint. This helps to maximize the use of space. Figure out how much electricity it will need. That way you can avoid any sort of fire disaster. Watering the plant is important. So, the plumbing system should support the setup design you are planning.
If you are willing to grow something indoors then the best way to do with a grow room setup. Growing indoors is the best way to reduce cost.
Growing indoors requires quite a lot of electric devices that need to be turned on and off at specific times; you’ll need to use a timer system in order to keep them working properly. The best way to do this is to get a full controller system that allows you to program everything on the one system.
Once you know where you’re going to be setting up your ventilation system and how you’re going to be supplying fresh air, you’ll need to install the extractor fan and inline fan, if you’re using one.
When working in such a large space you’ll need to add humidity to the air somehow, and the best ways to do this is by using a humidifier, or maybe even a few. During your plants’ first few weeks, relative humidity needs to be a bit higher than usual – if it’s not, your plants may not grow to be the best that they can be.
For the best results, you should place the humidifier in the middle of the room alongside a fan, which helps to distribute humidity evenly. If you can, try and move it to the other side of your plants after a few hours in order to avoid the plants closest to it getting a bit too much humidity, which can end up causing fungi.
The best way to do this is to keep your ballast outside of the grow room due to the amount of heat that they generate. However, this may be an added benefit when it comes to growing during colder months, although during the springtime and hotter months it’s not a good idea. If you can’t keep it outside of your grow room, you’ll need to place it on a wooden shelf up high and as far away as possible from your plants.
Once you’ve set up your ventilation system and everything is in its place, you’ll need to add a carbon filter. You can do this when preparing the grow room or wait until your plants are flowering. It’s much easier to set it up at the start, although you’ll be using it more than you need to. If you wait until the flowering period the filter will last much longer.
In order to hang your lights correctly, you’ll need to measure out how much space each light is going to cover and find the exact center of the bulb in order to make the right hole in the ceiling for your plants.
If you have an inline fan it’s not that hard to attach the ducting, the difference is the size of the intake fan, which is usually smaller than the extractor. You can also do this using clamps to make it easier.
The most important things to keep in mind are that nothing should be seen from outside the room and your extraction system and filter should be working properly; if not, you may get in trouble.
If you want to grow cannabis indoors but don't know how to build a grow room, don't worry! We've designed a guide to show you what you need & how to use it