- Any variety of apple
- Knife, stick, key, or screwdriver (anything that can carve a hole)
- A lighter
- Prepare an apple. Any kind of apple will do but for the best possible outcome, use a freshly picked one. Twist off the stem to expose the natural bowl shape on top.
- Carve the bowl. Using a knife or a screwdriver, carve a hole from the top part halfway through the apple. To avoid breathing in plant matter, place a small screen on top of the bowl.
- Make the mouthpiece. At the side of the apple, poke another hole to serve as the mouthpiece. It should connect with the first hole made from the top, creating an “L” shaped tunnel within the fruit.
- Carve the carb. Some people prefer bongs with a carb hole. To do that, continue to push the mouthpiece hole all the way through the apple effectively forming an inverted “T” shape tunnel.
- Discarded paper towel rolls
- Aluminum foil
- A pair of scissors
Perhaps the most recognizable homemade pipe is one crafted using a piece of apple. A timeless classic that has been around forever and remains incredibly popular today. It does not require special tools or anything expensive, and it is easy to make.
The frost pipe or “ice bong” requires a specialized kit that could be purchased online. The kit mostly comprises of a mold with a built-in chamber for the bowl and the mouthpiece. Water is poured into the mold and is left to freeze until a solid block of ice is made.
Compared to other homemade pipes, the liquor bottle bong is one of the more difficult and costlier ones to make. It requires a specialized drill that can bore a hole through the glass and an already existing glass bong stem. Once created, it can be used for a long time making it one of the longest lasting DIY pipes.
“If there is a will, there is a way.” For as long as there is the desire, or the need to use cannabis, there are limitless ways to fashion a homemade pipe.