Steel screens are often used in silicone bongs and acrylic bongs, although the latter can easily be scratched with these screens. They work just like brass screens, and there is no difference in taste. In fact, aside from their colour, the main difference between these two materials is that steel is more durable.
Nonetheless, the factors mentioned don’t include “high.” That’s because, technically, you’ll be consuming the same amount of THC if you’re using the same quantity of the same marijuana flower. Even if not the most pleasant, these stoner MacGyver techniques will surely be effective. Just use them wisely.
Let’s first make it clear that the following methods should only be used as last resorts. If you can go out and buy yourself a glass piece, do that. These aren’t materials traditionally used to smoke weed. A proper bong or pipe will always do your bud more justice. The flavour, the burn, and the smoothness will all be better from an object specially made with these factors in mind.
A tried and true method is to take a piece of aluminium foil and poke some holes into it with a toothpick. Form the foil into a suitable-sized screen, and place it into the bowl just like you would an ordinary screen. No worries, the aluminium foil won’t melt when you’re smoking. That said, such a DIY screen may only last one or two sessions before losing its integrity.
• Stainless steel screens
The options are endless, try out some and choose your favourites.
There is really no “best” type of screen—what’s most important is that it fits snugly into your bowl. You know your screen fits if it doesn’t pop out after pressing it down into your bowl. The rest, whether you prefer steel, brass, or glass screens, is up to you.
What is their disadvantage? Well, brass screens are not as sturdy as screens made from steel, for example. Although brass screens won’t melt, if you hit your pipe often, they will get weaker over time and break at some point.
So, what pipe screen should you use with your homemade bong? And further, what do you do if there are no screens around?
It's 3am and you finally finished that paper. There's not a place open and you still want that smoke before bed. We have the solution for you!
- Creating the downstem. Take the metal casing of the marker pen, and cut it in half. Also cut off the closed end of the marker, leaving only the tube.
- Poke a hole. Locate the side opposite the opening of the package. Then, at the middle part, poke a hole with a knife or with a screwdriver. Make sure that it is big enough for the downstem but not enough to let smoke seep through.
- Join the downstem with the chamber. Insert the hollow tube through the hole at an angle that allows the outside to point upwards. Secure the rest of the hole with adhesive.
- Making the Bowl. Form a bowl out of the aluminum foil. Poke three to four small holes at the bottom to allow air to flow. Secure it over the downstem by having excess trimmings “wrap” around the end of the tube.
- Create the carb. Fashioning a carb is optional but it does provide for an easy way to breathe in smoke. A hole could be poked the bottom of the pack for this purpose.
- Begin Smoking. Fill the bowl with the desired cannabis strain. Place the mouth over the lid of the tic tac pack while covering the carb hole with a finger. Light up the herbs and wait for the packet to fill with smoke. Let go of the carb hole and draw in the smoke.
- An empty water bottle
- Used ball-point pen
- A pair of scissors
- Prepare an apple. Any kind of apple will do but for the best possible outcome, use a freshly picked one. Twist off the stem to expose the natural bowl shape on top.
- Carve the bowl. Using a knife or a screwdriver, carve a hole from the top part halfway through the apple. To avoid breathing in plant matter, place a small screen on top of the bowl.
- Make the mouthpiece. At the side of the apple, poke another hole to serve as the mouthpiece. It should connect with the first hole made from the top, creating an “L” shaped tunnel within the fruit.
- Carve the carb. Some people prefer bongs with a carb hole. To do that, continue to push the mouthpiece hole all the way through the apple effectively forming an inverted “T” shape tunnel.
Perhaps the most recognizable homemade pipe is one crafted using a piece of apple. A timeless classic that has been around forever and remains incredibly popular today. It does not require special tools or anything expensive, and it is easy to make.
- Box cutter or scissors
- One large plastic bottle
- Aluminum foil
There are two kinds of gravity bongs – the bucket bong and the waterfall bong. Both employ the basic principles of physics and require water to operate. Therefore, using it comes at a cost – the possibility of making a mess.
“If there is a will, there is a way.” For as long as there is the desire, or the need to use cannabis, there are limitless ways to fashion a homemade pipe.