Vapes and rolling papers are all but useless if you don’t have the right grind on your marijuana bud. A quality weed grinder will seamlessly cut through your product, sifting out the bad chunks and preserving the extra-potent kief (or pollen) for an optimal smoking experience. Meaning: no dirty smoke, no wasted product. You can seriously invest in this accessory if you want, but you can also find some solid, inexpensive options. These 10 best weed grinders—most of them with four pieces to grind bud, sift pollen, and store the results properly—are available online and fit any budget.
Magic Flight’s grinder is part of its full Launch Box vape kit, fitting snugly over the opening of the vape so you can transfer freshly ground bud without a mess. If you’re looking for a beautifully carved wooden grinder that matches its vape, choose this one.
Kannastör’s grinder is a mix-and-match marvel with extra storage options and an easy-to-remove screen. Best of all, it has two interchangeable grater plates so you can choose your coarseness. Made with hardened aluminum in a stylish, matte design, it’ll last you for ages.
While the iRainy and Kingtop grinders are made from zinc alloy, Masterdam is the cheapest grinder on this list made from hardier aluminium. Its teeth are different too: Their curved diamond shape grinds out super-fine dust. It’s a solid, inexpensive option for everyday use.
Phoenician medical-grade grinders gets you a good, medium sheer on your weed—not too fine or too chunky. Better yet, their grippy sides and deep bowls are great for clumsier users, or users with arthritis.
For a more tactile option, get Aerospaced’s grinder. The hand crank operates a large set of blades, which chop up weed and filter it through a mesh screen. The clear lid allows you to monitor the entire operation.
The Kingtop grinder is nearly as big as the palm of your hand, great for when you have large amounts of bud and you don’t need to be discrete. Its four pieces include a magnetically sealed cap, a grinder, a mesh screen, and a catch tray, and its 45 teeth ensure smooth grinding.
Just because it’s cheap doesn’t mean it’s basic. This grinder comes with five pieces—including two mesh screens to sift pollen from your weed, and a little scraper to use for the catch tray so not a grain is wasted—with sharp teeth and a magnetic seal. If it seems too large, then remove a mesh screen or two to shorten it.
Mendo Mulcher makes some exceptional grinders—all out of aircraft-grade billet aluminum—but this one might be the most useful. At only 1.75 inches, it’s best for travel, and its extra-grippy construction ensures you won’t slip up while using it despite its small size. With only two pieces though, it doesn’t have a mesh filter.
These 10 best weed grinders—most of them with four pieces to grind bud, sift pollen, and store the results properly—are available online and fit any budget.
One of the problems with using your hands to break up marijuana is that it leads to inconsistently-sized pieces. You will undoubtedly be left with some pieces that are bigger than others, referred to as “nuggets” or “nugs,” leading to uneven heating or burning. A grinder, with its carefully positioned teeth, is designed to shred dry marijuana flower into an even consistency every time.
Whether your dry marijuana flower is destined for a vaporizer, pipe, or joint, the finer consistency achieved with the help of a grinder helps maximize its natural benefits.
Dry cannabis flower is placed in between the teeth of the grinder, and then the top and bottom halves are locked together and twisted in opposite directions. This twisting motion moves the teeth together, catching the dry flower between them and breaking it down into small, even particles.
More advanced grinders can have additional components that offer a more convenient grinding experience. In a 4-piece, three chamber grinder, the collection chamber features a small mesh screen at its base rather than a solid bottom. This allows finer particles like trichomes to drop into an added lower level, known as the kief catcher. Altogether, the four-piece grinder is made up of four pieces — lid, a grinding bowl, a collection chamber with screen, and a kief catcher — that come together to create three chambers.
Some benefits of using an marijuana grinder include:
Now that you know about grinders and their importance for maximizing the benefits of dry herb, visit our Cannabis 101 page to learn how to incorporate your freshly ground herbs into vaporizers and pipes.
Despite the thoughtful engineering that goes into their designs, marijuana grinders are straightforward and easy to use. Here is a step-by-step, easy-to-follow guide on how to use both a 2-piece and 4-piece grinder.
- Remove the top lid of the grinder. Evenly distribute your dry marijuana flower in between the teeth of the grinding bowl, using your fingers to gently break up bigger buds if necessary. Avoid placing your marijuana at the center or the edges of the grinding bowl.
- Replace the lid of the grinder and rotate it either clockwise or counterclockwise about 5-10 times, or until all of your herb is ground to your ideal consistency.
- With a 2-piece grinder, you’ll start to be able to tell that the marijuana has reached an ideal size by the grinding sound and amount of rotation resistance.
- With a 4-piece grinder, you’ll want to continue rotating the grinder until all the marijuana has fallen through the holes of the grinding bowl.
- Open up your grinder to reveal all your freshly ground herb. You are now ready to load this ground marijuana into your pipe or vaporizer.
- If you’re using a 2-piece grinder, you simply have to remove the lid to find your ground marijuana in the bottom chamber.
- With a 4-piece grinder, you’ll want to unscrew the entire grinding bowl to remove it and the lid to get to the marijuana that’s fallen within the collection chamber.
- If you’re using a 4-piece grinder, unscrew the bottom kief chamber to find the highly-concentrated, fine particles of kief from your herb. You can add the kief to your vaporizer chamber or onto the glass bowl of your pipe for more powerful natural effects, or save it for something else later.
While marijuana grinders can vary slightly in design and build, in general they contain at minimum three components, including:
Grinders are essential tools for dry herbs. Here you can learn all about grinders– how to use them and the role they play in vaping or smoking dry herb.