- Find a small pumpkin. We recommend one you can hold in the palm of your hand without too much problem.
- Cut a hole around the stem and remove the “plug.” Keep this piece as you’re going to need it again at the end.
- Scoop out the seeds. We suggest salting and baking those bad boys for a tasty after-toke munchie treat.
- Poke a hole in the side of the pumpkin and push your stem through.
- On the opposite side (and maybe a little further up toward where the stem would be), insert something to use as a mouthpiece.
- Replace the top. A great way to keep it from coming loose is to shove toothpicks diagonally through the cap into the pumpkin itself.
- Get lit!
A serious need, a dash of ingenuity, and a sprinkle of creativity can produce some seriously cool things. Forget about the iPhone and virtual reality and indoor plumbing, we’re more concerned with how to get baked when the need arises.
As with all plastics and some metals, remember that when they burn, they can give off some harmful vapors. Make sure that the plastic doesn’t melt and the metal isn’t toxic when heated.
What’s cool about this tiny bong is that it can be disassembled, packed, and carried wherever without raising any eyebrows. It just looks like a random assortment of odd objects, not the pieces of a brilliant marijuana delivery system.
We know: when you have to explain the joke, it loses some of its caché. Let’s get back to the bong.
What’s that saying about give a monkey enough time and it will type Shakespeare? I think this applies.
There’s nothing better than making due with what you’ve got on hand. And if you’re fortunate enough to live in a place where bamboo grows wild, you’ve literally got thousands of bongs just waiting to be harvested.
No list would be complete without some form of the homemade honey bear bong. Astute movie watchers will remember Brad Pitt’s character Floyd taking hits from a similar contraption in the 1993 movie True Romance .
Want to make your own homemade bong? The cannabis experts at Honest Marijuana provide plenty of inspiration with their list of the 15 best homemade bongs.