• Glass or quartz screens
Whether you make your pipe from a soda can or piece of fruit, you’ll want a pipe screen to use with it. If you smoke your weed without a screen, it could be quite an unpleasant experience. A screen keeps the loose bits in your pipe instead of in your mouth, so you can enjoy hitting your bong much more!
What is their disadvantage? Well, brass screens are not as sturdy as screens made from steel, for example. Although brass screens won’t melt, if you hit your pipe often, they will get weaker over time and break at some point.
You never know when there might come a time where all you have is your bud and nothing to smoke out of. These are hard times for every stoner. It’s always handy to know what other options you might find around the house.
Make sure you learn the best techniques to save you in your time of greatest need. You never know when you might need a backup bong. Luckily, it’s easier to make than you think!
Let’s first make it clear that the following methods should only be used as last resorts. If you can go out and buy yourself a glass piece, do that. These aren’t materials traditionally used to smoke weed. A proper bong or pipe will always do your bud more justice. The flavour, the burn, and the smoothness will all be better from an object specially made with these factors in mind.
Since this article is about making a homemade bong, chances are you don’t have any actual pipe screens around. In this case, you can make some DIY pipe screens for single-time use. Here are your options:
You can also get pipe screens made from quartz, which are even more heat-resistant than glass. Replaceable glass or quartz screens aren’t as common as the aforementioned options, with most high-quality glass bongs incorporating borosilicate or quartz screens right into their design. These often feature decoratively placed holes instead of the ultra-fine mesh of brass or steel.
A tried and true method is to take a piece of aluminium foil and poke some holes into it with a toothpick. Form the foil into a suitable-sized screen, and place it into the bowl just like you would an ordinary screen. No worries, the aluminium foil won’t melt when you’re smoking. That said, such a DIY screen may only last one or two sessions before losing its integrity.
It's 3am and you finally finished that paper. There's not a place open and you still want that smoke before bed. We have the solution for you!
Gravity bongs are perfect for parties. Not only that, but it also delivers a somewhat smoother hit.
- Preparing the candy. Unwrap each Starburst candy. Be sure to wear gloves because it is sticky. Optionally, it can also be held using the wrapper.
- Molding the pipe. There are two ways to do this: (1) Candies could be stacked side by side and compress until it sticks together. Then, squish one more at on one end to serve as the bowl. (2) The Starburst candy could also be molded into a singular mass and formed into the shape of a pipe.
- Make the bowl. On the end that will serve as the bowl, poke a hole halfway through the shaft.
- Connect the mouthpiece to the bowl. From the side, use the same stick to skewer the shaft until it connects to the hole to form an “L” shape tunnel.
- Refrigerate. Let the candy pipe cool in the refrigerator for a few minutes. This helps to harden it and prevents it from being too sticky to handle.
- Any variety of apple
- Knife, stick, key, or screwdriver (anything that can carve a hole)
- A lighter
- Box cutter or scissors
- One large plastic bottle
- Aluminum foil
- Empty the pen. Remove the ink chamber and the closed cap at the end of the pen. Do not throw away the nib (or the cone-shaped tip of the pen) as it will serve as the bowl.
- Attach the bowl. Attach the smaller end of the nib to one end of the hollow tube.
- Begin smoking. Pack a small amount of cannabis onto the cone. Light the herbs and then inhale from the other end of the pen.
“If there is a will, there is a way.” For as long as there is the desire, or the need to use cannabis, there are limitless ways to fashion a homemade pipe.