Cooking with CBD oil is easy! Check out these 5 simple ways you can seamlessly add CBD oil into your food and drinks and start reaping the benefits. Want to start cooking with CBD oil? This guide will teach you all about CBD oil and how you can use it in your favourite recipes!
5 Easy Ways to Cook with CBD Oil
There are so many reasons to incorporate CBD oil into your diet and benefit from cannabidiol’s anti-inflammatory, anti-anxiety and anti-depressant properties. From throwing it into smoothies and salad dressings to concocting super-powered butters and desserts, cooking with CBD oil has never been easier. Here are five easy ways to get started.
You might not be a “wake and bake” type of person, but if you’ve never had cannabis for breakfast, you may be missing out on the best way to start your day. Whether you’re a fan of a standard strawberry-banana blend or open to something much greener, adding CBD oil to your smoothie is as easy as throwing in a few drops. To add even more power to your smoothie, consider other health-enhancing smoothie ingredients, like antioxidant-rich blueberries, flax seeds for their omega-3s, vitamin-high bee pollen and nutritious spirulina. A CBD smoothie can also help your recover from a workout more quickly.
2. CBD-Infused Butter
To make CBD-infused butter, which you can use in place of traditional butter in any low-temperature recipe, simply heat unsalted butter with low heat, add CBD oil and water, cool and then store in a container when you’re ready to use it. CBD butter can also be used in place of traditional butter, so slather it across your whole-wheat toast in the morning or drizzle it over any dish where you’d normally use butter. Some step-by-step instructions on how to make CBD butter can be found here.
The ultimate guide to cooking with CBD oil
Do you want to learn more about cooking with CBD oil but you’re not sure where to start? This ultimate guide will share everything you need to know about CBD oil and how to use it in your cooking and baking!
I’ve put together this resource on CBD oil to help you learn more about what it is, the benefits it has, and how you can use it in your cooking and baking.
This is everything you need to know about cooking with CBD oil all in one place!
What is CBD oil
CBD stands for cannabidiol. (can·na·bid·i·ol) It is a chemical compound found in the cannabis plant that has been shown to help with stress and anxiety, relieve pain and even possibly help prevent cancer.
There are two main cannabinoids found in the cabanas plant. The first is Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and it is the main psychoactive cannabinoid found in cannabis, which gives the sensation of feeling “high” when ingested or smoked. This is the cannabinoid that is often associated with marijuana. The second main cannabinoid is CBD. Which unlike THC, is not psychoactive and therefore will not get you high.
CBD oil is also not addictive and is currently legal in Canada and the UK. Hemp-derived CBD is currently legal in all 50 States of the United States, though there are some grey areas. (Watch this video to learn more about the legality of CBD in the United States.)
CBD oil can be consumed my ingesting the oil itself, through a vaporizer, or by eating it used in cooking and baking! (source) It is 100% safe to use, and can even be used for pets with anxiety.
How does CBD oil make you feel?
CBD is shown to have a relaxing effect by repressing the arousal of your nervous system, and can, therefore, help relieve anxiety. You may not notice any immediate change when taking CBD oil since CBD oil is not like taking a psychoactive drug. You may feel more benefits from incorporating CBD oil into your routine over the course of a week.
(Think of like incorporating more green vegetables into your diet. After one day, you may not necessarily feel very different, but after a bit of time, you may start to feel healthier, more energetic and experience less brain fog.)
One sensation you may feel immediately after taking CBD oil is a greater sense of calmness. Many people also enjoy taking CBD oil to help them sleep because of this calming effect.
While taking a CBD oil supplement will affect each individual differently, most people associate CBD oil with words like calm, relaxed, reduced stress and peacefulness. (source)
Health benefits of CBD oil
- Helps with pain relief
- Combats anxiety
- Reduces the risk of diabetes
- Works as a preventative medicine
- Reduces the risk of cancer
- Helps maintain brain health
- Helps with insomnia
- Helps with inflammation in the body
- Alleviates stress
CBD oil possible side effects
Though CBD oil is completely safe to use, keep in mind that everyone’s body reacts differently to different substances. There are some potential side effects when taking CBD oil, though these side effects are generally not common.
- Dry mouth: CBD can in some cases cause your mouth to be dry, so drink plenty of water if this is the case.
- Drowsiness: in high doses, some people report feeling drowsy when taking CBD. (which for some is a benefit, if using CBD to help with sleep.)
- Lightheadedness: CBD can cause a slight drop in blood pressure, which for some may lead to lightheadedness. If this happens to you drink a cup of tea or a small coffee which will help regulate your body.
- Change in appetite: CBD can cause a reduction in appetite for some people. (source)
Tips for cooking with CBD oil
- Use high-quality CBD oil: quality matters, and there is no substitute for high-quality CBD oil. Look for a reputable brand.
- Start small: Don’t overdo it. Start with just a small amount of CBD oil when you’re first starting out using it in your cooking.
- CBD works best in recipes with some sort of fat in them. (oil, butter…etc.)
- Store your CBD in a cool dry place to keep it fresh
- You can add a few drops of CBD oil to your salad dressings, smoothies, coconut oil or butter or baking and in many other ways!
- You can add CBD oil to any of your favourite recipes. I like to add a few drops to my lattes, smoothies and chia puddings!
- Do not heat your CBD oil on direct heat. Heating the oil too high will have a decrease in the oils overall effectiveness.
CBD oil drink recipes
These drinks incorporate CBD oil in them for an easy way to enjoy your CBD oil if you’re feeling anxious in the morning, or need a little help relaxing in the evening.
- CBD Fresh Mint Tea
- Iced Chai With CBD
CBD oil snack recipes
These recipes are perfect for when you need a little afternoon snack or a dessert that will give you the all the benefits CBD oil has to offer!
- CBD Chocolate Pistachio Bark
- CBD Chocolate Fat Bombs
- Raw CBD Chocolate Mousse
- CBD Peanut Butter Cookies
Savoury CBD recipes
Try something different by using CBD oil in some savoury recipes or as a butter to use on toast, or in your cooking
CBD oil resources:
This post contains affiliate links which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I know, trust and love!
posted by Jessica Hoffman on May 24, 2019 (updated August 16, 2021)