The amazing Rosetta Stone by Brothers Grimm Seeds
- A – After creating one of the most reputed seed banks of its time, you suddenly had to cease your activity. How did you cope with that? Was it really that hard to find another place to continue your work?
- MrSoul – I was not unhappy during the time away from growing and breeding because I had family and another vocation to lean on. It felt very strange however, I kept asking myself…” Why are you shutting down the money generator?” I moved to Europe in 2002 with hopes I’d find another growing facility but it didn’t materialize after 2 years. I then returned to USA to work as an engineer until 2015 when I realized it would be possible to reopen Brothers Grimm Seeds in a legal state, so I went to Colorado.
- A – I guess you must be pleased with the current situation in Colorado and other states of the USA but. how do you think the current situation could be further improved for growers, retailers and users?
- MrSoul – Well in USA I see the major problem is the classification of Cannabis as a Schedule1 drug and the fact that it remains Federally illegal despite individual states declaring it leagal. That has to change ASAP for real legalization to be enacted.
- A – You developed C-99 from Princess and Shiva Skunk. what about the new version? Is it true that you used Princess and C-99 as parents?
- MrSoul – The Shiva Skunk was only used as the male in the P50 generation. The final “formula” to create C99 is Princess x C94 – which is why the “new version” isn’t a new version it is EXACTLY the SAME as in 1999.
- A – As you already know, I’m a great fan of Rosetta Stone, so I must ask. are you still keeping the original Café Girl? And the White Widow male? How have you developed the new Rosetta Stone?
- MrSoul – The Café Girl was culled in 2001, as was the White Widow. The New Rosetta Stone is far superior to the original. It’s a cross of Jack Herer to P75. And the feminized version is Jack Herer x C99 reversed.
- A – And what can you tell us about Killer Queen?
- MrSoul – Killer Queen is Airborne G13 x C99 – what do you want to know that isn’t in the description on the website?
Cinderella 99 is one of Brothers Grimm Seeds most sough-after strains
Here you have our interview with the main breeder and founder of Brothers Grimm Seeds, MrSoul:
The history of this North American cannabis seed company Brothers Grimm is quite uncommon, especially if we take into account the huge success of their strains since they were first introduced in the market in 1996. Indeed, and before their withdrawal from the seed market in 2002, some of their genetics had already become true classics in the cannabis scene, with names that will surely sound familiar to you: Cinderella 99, Apollo 13, Killer Queen or Rosetta Stone just to name a few. Over time, this varieties have also become the baselines for many other hybrids from breeders across the globe.
Brothers Grimm Seeds genetics stand out for their excellent quality
During the mid 90’s, MrSoul, Duke Diamond and Subcool met each other through the popular forum Overgrow, which brought together some of the best cannabis growers in the world. Thanks to all the knowledge shared in that forum, MrSoul and his partner Sly founded Brothers Grimm Seeds, while Subcool – founding member of Overgrow – started his own seed company, TGA Subcool.
It all started when MrSoul – one of the founders of the company – contacted the dutch seed bank Super Sativa Seed Club in 1987. Soon after, he was already distributing their seeds throughout the American territory. The access to new and amazing genetics, as well as his knowledge on engineering (he had studied nuclear engineering in New York) made him decide to dedicate his time to growing and breeding cannabis, also designing his own climate control and hydroponic systems.
In this way, and thanks to the breeding technique called cubing (or triple backcross) they soon had a nice collection of stable, quality genetics. In some cases, they came from bagseed found in dried buds, as is the case of Princess, Café Girl or Genius. Indeed, these three parents used by Brothers Grimm Seeds actually came from seeds found in a Jack Herer bag purchased by MrSoul himself in 1997 at the “Sensi Smile Coffeeshop”, in Amsterdam. Ultimately, these plants where used as main parents to create Cinderella 99 (Princess), Rosetta Stone (Café Girl) and the Apollo line (Genius).
Soon after their entry into the cannabis seed market in 1996, Brothers Grimm Seeds quickly became a reference for both growers and breeders. After cea