So, what pipe screen should you use with your homemade bong? And further, what do you do if there are no screens around?
Make sure you learn the best techniques to save you in your time of greatest need. You never know when you might need a backup bong. Luckily, it’s easier to make than you think!
Whether you make your pipe from a soda can or piece of fruit, you’ll want a pipe screen to use with it. If you smoke your weed without a screen, it could be quite an unpleasant experience. A screen keeps the loose bits in your pipe instead of in your mouth, so you can enjoy hitting your bong much more!
You can also get pipe screens made from quartz, which are even more heat-resistant than glass. Replaceable glass or quartz screens aren’t as common as the aforementioned options, with most high-quality glass bongs incorporating borosilicate or quartz screens right into their design. These often feature decoratively placed holes instead of the ultra-fine mesh of brass or steel.
You can also make a screen from a paperclip or a similar piece of stiff wire. Bend the wire into a spiral and position it snugly in the bowl. This can work as a halfway-decent screen that keeps larger chunks of ash and weed in your pipe.
Brass screens are perhaps the most common, featuring in tobacco pipes and many glass and ceramic bongs. You can get them at just about any tobacco store or headshop for little money. These circle-shaped cut-outs are made from brass mesh, with each screen about the size of a small coin. Brass has the advantage that you can bend it easily; this way, you can fit these screens easily into various bowl sizes. If you happen to have brass screens that are a tiny bit too large for your bowl, you can easily cut them to size.
You never know when there might come a time where all you have is your bud and nothing to smoke out of. These are hard times for every stoner. It’s always handy to know what other options you might find around the house.
Because steel screens are not as malleable as brass, fitting them into odd-shaped bowls can be a little more finicky.
We had to start with a method that has been, and still is, super popular. Now making a comeback on social media is smoking out of foodstuffs – the same method your grandpa used during his stoner days.
It's 3am and you finally finished that paper. There's not a place open and you still want that smoke before bed. We have the solution for you!
Sometimes, the unexpected can stop one from enjoying the benefits of a good hit. For instance, running out of rolling paper or breaking the glass bong. In times like this, a little bit of creativity and crafting a homemade pipe from every day things at home or the kitchen could save the day.
- Preparing the candy. Unwrap each Starburst candy. Be sure to wear gloves because it is sticky. Optionally, it can also be held using the wrapper.
- Molding the pipe. There are two ways to do this: (1) Candies could be stacked side by side and compress until it sticks together. Then, squish one more at on one end to serve as the bowl. (2) The Starburst candy could also be molded into a singular mass and formed into the shape of a pipe.
- Make the bowl. On the end that will serve as the bowl, poke a hole halfway through the shaft.
- Connect the mouthpiece to the bowl. From the side, use the same stick to skewer the shaft until it connects to the hole to form an “L” shape tunnel.
- Refrigerate. Let the candy pipe cool in the refrigerator for a few minutes. This helps to harden it and prevents it from being too sticky to handle.
The water bottle bong employs the same techniques and principles as the tic tac bong. This homemade pipe, however, cannot be used for a long time because the heat of the smoke may melt the plastic over time. It is only good for emergency smoking sessions or for traveling outdoors.
- Discarded paper towel rolls
- Aluminum foil
- A pair of scissors
“If there is a will, there is a way.” For as long as there is the desire, or the need to use cannabis, there are limitless ways to fashion a homemade pipe.