Not all cannabis strains are created equal. Expert breeders spend years perfecting strains to deliver the best results with the fewest undesirable qualities. The result has been an influx of potent cannabis strains tailored to the consumer and his specific needs. Those who want to treat the side effects of chemo with cannabis should therefore focus on strains developed for the medical community and their own personal preferences. Here is a list of our top seven strains for chemotherapy.
A cancer diagnosis is never welcome but when it occurs, there are steps that can be taken to make recovery so much easier. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with cancer and is about to undergo traditional cancer treatments like chemotherapy, cannabis may be an excellent way to increase the odds of success and safely put the body into remission.
Have you used cannabis to treat the side effects of chemo? We’d love to hear about your experience.
3. Blue Dream: Blue Dream is a popular strain among both the medical and recreational communities. Known for its distinctive blueberry flavor and invigorating buzz, this Northern California native is great for relieving pain and promoting deep muscle relaxation. Though somewhat speedy at first, the effects of Blue Dream level off within the first hour resulting in a relaxed, pain-free state. Blue Dream is best used to treat pain and nausea without interfering with menial tasks throughout the day.
5. Northern Lights: Northern Lights is a popular strain among growers for it’s ease of cultivation (and resistance to pests) but it is its therapeutic qualities that have consumers flocking to the stores. Capable of treating most of the side effects of chemo including pain, sleeplessness, depression and nausea, this pure indica strain will leave its consumers happy and hungry, albeit a bit too sleepy for daytime activities.
7. Romulan X Chemo: Romulan X Chemo is a powerful strain reserved primarily for medical patients. The indica-dominant hybrid hits hard and fast, leaving its users pain-free and ready for slumber almost immediately. Those who don’t fall asleep right away may find themselves drawn to the refrigerator as this strain is great for appetite stimulation, as well.
Chemotherapy is a process that uses special drugs to kill cells in the body before they split and spread. They can be ingested in a few ways – pills, shots, or an IV, for example – with the intention of stopping the spread of cancerous cells before they get out of control. The problem is that chemo targets all cells (including healthy ones) which can cause major damage and discomfort in patients. The side effects of chemotherapy can be devastating including things like hair loss, nausea and fatigue. Chemo patients also often suffer from depression due to the uncertainty of their condition which can exacerbate the negative side effects of chemotherapy.
2. ACDC: Though the band AC/DC is typically considered a “hard rock” group, the strain ACDC is most certainly not. Rather, ACDC is a mellow sativa strain containing only trace amounts of THC and a substantially higher amount of CBD. The intoxicating effects of ACDC are minor, making this strain ideal for novice consumers looking to treat symptoms like pain, nausea and neuropathic discomfort.
4. Mental Floss #3: As the name suggests, Mental Floss #3 is a sativa strain that gives the brain a buzz. Though its analgesic and antiemetic properties are apparent throughout the high (which sets in rather quickly, we might add), it is the invigorating “head high” that sets this strain apart from the rest. We suggest using Mental Floss #3 to combat anxiety and depression, and for a boost of motivation when need be, as well.
Cannabis and cancer have an interesting relationship. While there hasn't been enough research to say for sure, there are many strains that have been shown to help people battling cancer. Learn more about the best strains to aid in the side effects of chemotherapy and cancer related treatment.
- Granddaddy Purple. A classic indica with a high THC content, this fruity strain will spur your appetite on.
- Skywalker OG. If you want to avoid the sleepy side effects, this hybrid can help.
Home / Resources / Ailment Resources / Best Cannabis Strains for Cancer Patients
As the medical marijuana industry grows, cultivators are producing strains that can pinpoint specific symptoms. As these symptoms are alleviated, you’ll be able to live a happier and healthier life.
Cancer patients need to feel well-rested and revitalized to fight the disease. Whether you need a good night’s sleep or a little boost to make it through the day, medical marijuana can help.
If left untreated, cancer can lead to cachexia, or wasting illness. Cancer patients undergoing treatments find it hard to eat. Medical marijuana helps kick your appetite into gear so you can keep your strength up. Usually, indica strains high in THC are best for this.
If you have cancer, you may be qualified to get a medical marijuana card in your state. All it takes is an appointment with a marijuana doctor who can approve your condition. Once you have your card, you can take advantage of the many benefits cancer patients are finding for their debilitating symptoms.
But a visit to a dispensary could leave you confused. There are many cannabis strains to choose from, and you may be wondering which one is right for you. Read on to find out how certain strains can target the cancer symptoms you struggle with.
- Super Silver Haze. Fights depression and provides a delightful citrus aroma.
- Chernobyl. No matter what time of day, this hybrid strain is sure to lift your spirits.
- Super Silver Haze. A sativa strain that provides invigoration and happiness.
The most common use for cannabis medications is as an analgesic (pain reliever). Patients with cancer sometimes face excruciating pain. Medical marijuana contains CBD and THC, two cannabinoid compounds in cannabis that act as natural pain reducers. These compounds work together to bring incredible relief, even to patients with nerve pain.
If you have cancer, you may be qualified to get a medical marijuana card in your state. Once you have your card, you can take advantage of the many benefits cancer patients are finding for their debilitating symptoms. Learn which cannabis strains are best for managing your cancer symptoms.